Madam President is back on her own terms

 



I have been off the social media for about two months. Many have reached out in private to find out how I have been keeping. To all my friends, frenemies, and unabashed haters, I thank you all and I reassure you that I have been keeping well. 

As you are aware, Twitter suspended my account permanently! I had it coming some would say, but I actually could not care less. I had been warned that the axe would soon fall and was ready for it really. I am a stubborn person. I have been stubborn since birth, and I am not about to change in old age. One of the reasons why I have advocated for SM regulation by countries is what is playing out in the world presently. It does not make sense to leave the duty of moderating free speech to the platform that hosts the speakers. You cannot allow a third party to be the sole decider of what can be said or written. Nations of the world have different cultures, norms and ethos and no platform whether they employ citizens of all the nations of the world can fairly act as umpire. This is what has played out with the way Twitter suspended my account. I was targeted for reporting by those who see me as a threat to their views. Many of those who reported my account did so after I stood against some tweet that was against @abikedabiri. In particular my tweet against the views of Madam Oby Ezekwesili angered her minions. Also, I tweeted against her repeating the long-decimated tissue of lies that anyone was killed in the so-called Lekki Toll Gate ‘non’ massacre. The axing by Twitter was obviously wrong and it was taking sides with an opposing camp and not a protection of against any kind of harassment. But Yorubas will understand this song of mischief (Ã’̣tẹ̀), that if NEPA take light, candle is still available, abi? 

Nations should regulate the activities of the SM and allow the injured to seek redress from the courts or the justice system of the country that the tweets concern as they are the ones who can rightly understand context and nuance. In any event, I chose to use my inalienable right to responsible free speech responsibly, but the ones who are lords and masters of Twitter Africa, those who are of Nigerian extraction who used to sit over the affairs of Twitter Nigeria had it in for me for ages and they wielded their vicious and mischievous stick and cut me off the platform. But Karma is real. Guess what? Elon Musk ‘happened’ to them (lol) and I understand that many of those overlords are also out of Twitter, having been axed by ‘crasie’ Melon without the ‘M’. 

Now, if you ask me how I feel about the Twitter axing, my answer will probably surprise you. I feel a sense of relief. It is like being released from jail. You see, SM is addictive. I have always been afraid of the power of SM over me and for that reason, I had made sure to take compulsory breaks every quarter. But even during those breaks, I found that I still checked in all the time but would refrain from commenting as a form of self-restraint and discipline. Being active daily on Twitter has meant that a lot other important and elevating activities were not getting done. I had reflected many times on whether or not to completely leave the Twitter Street, but one always arrogates to oneself, some importance that makes one think that one is actually a titan of some sort on Twitter and that one is making impact. Descending from that profusion of self-adulation and being deprived of that euphoric grandiosity sobers one up quickly. Luckily for me, there has always been and will always be life outside Twitter or SM. This is because as much as I like the great numbers of followers on SM, I also have a great number of real friends and acquaintances and these ones will always form my real audience. 

Another craziness about SM is that every Tom Dick and Silly find a voice on SM and use it. The ‘Obidients’ are a class on their own, a group of people united in tomfoolery, whose only objective in fielding a candidate to run as President of Nigeria is not because of his competence or veracity (the jury is out on the first and the Jury’s verdict is in on the second and it is not favourable to the man they would foist on us), but because they are angry at the establishment. Such a rudderless group of people pursuing a rudderless agenda. The SM has been filled with so much bile and hate from this group of ‘rebels’ that one fears for Nigeria should the unfortunate happen. Like we say in Yoruba, Àgbẹdọ̀, Ọlọ́run majẹ. 

I have made up my mind not to return to Twitter unless Twitter reinstates my account. To me, integrity is the main thing in all this. I have a name and it is @iyaboawokoya (Madam President). When I tweet on my handle it is me speaking. I will not adopt another name and play the game of subterfuge by tweeting incognito. Nothing is worth losing integrity for. There are many other ways to communicate with Nigerians and the SM space has wide skies that can accommodate as many birds as possible that wish to fly in them. 

In the past couple of months since staying off Twitter, I have been able to complete a book that had been in the pipeline for over a decade. That is one tangible benefit of the Twitter ban. I have also returned to equilibrium and equanimity of spirit. I was able to detoxify from the bile and the venom of fighting with people in the main, that I would never have related with in real life. It has been a truly cleansing experience. I have been able to reflect on the personality changes that Twitter was bringing to me. I was in England for 6 weeks and it was such a pleasant time spent in my daughter's company. I cooked loads of food for her and for Tolulope, my ward. I visited Tolulope at the Said Business School, Oxford University and took a picture for record purpose. Even if I did not study in Oxford, at least I visited the Business Schoo. I went on long walks daily interspersed with gym workouts. I even tried my hands on learning how to take good selfies. The young ones would find this amusing, but we oldies are discovering so many simple pleasures of life from the activities that you all count par for the course.





So how will friends, frenemies and unabashed haters hear or read from me. I chose to communicate from my blog, this one that you are on: https://iyaboawokoya.blogspot.com/ You can access the blog from my website also: https://iyaboawokoya.com . My friends will also help to publicise my writings on Twitter. To bring anything to my attention quickly please reach out to my Personal Assistant (PA) on Twitter under the handle @gentle_lawyer or to @Tunde_Sosina who is my colleague at work. I have also registered a handle on Facebook but have not yet had the courage to explore that street. Let me say that there are business handles that are still on Twitter that I have interests in. Like I said, I will not be tweeting from any handle other than my personal handle which is axed as at present. 

Let me also alert you on events and actions you will soon experience from my activities. I am a columnist, writing on Law, Policy, and Governance on a new online media https://verityreporters.com/ which will debut shortly. I will also be hosting a YouTube channel (AllAboutNigeria) which will continue my advocacy for Nigeria. I will conduct interviews on issues that concern the progress of our nation. 

In the next few days, Madam President will address issues concerning the political scenes, manoeuvrings, missteps from the various parties, Soludo’s bombshell, the Atiku non-starting agenda, the ruckus that never will be of the ‘obidiency’ movement and the silly ninnies that make up the motley crowd of noisemakers. It promises to be fun reading, so stay tuned to this blog. Check in here every two days and make comments. If you do nothing else, do check in every Monday and the weekend always brings my best inspiration. 

Permit me to lay some ground rules of engagement on my blog though: The blog is mine and I will moderate comments. Comments that disagree with my views are welcome and will be published so long as they are not laced with insults. Any insulting comment will NOT be published. This is not an all-comers affair. It is not Twitter.

Stay well friends. 

God Bless you.

Comments

  1. I am most delighted to be reading this piece and like I said to Daddy in his DM, you are a true master navigating the cacophony jaring our ear lobes.
    You have been missed and I will definitely camp here to enjoy your insights and opinion as it concerns some of the very issues that strikes at the core of our national existence.
    Long live Madam President!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear one. I will try to be an engaging here as I was on Twitter. Hopefully

      Delete
    2. We have launched a poll and asked Elon to reinstate. What's good for one president must be good enough for you!

      https://twitter.com/bulu_kay/status/1594298068706418689?t=YB-LCr4XezMEVUcBVMOKFg&s=19

      Delete
    3. Welcome back madam!

      Delete
    4. Hello my dear Abiola Aloba. Thanks for what you are doing, but not to troll Elon Musk, he seems to be feeling his way through the 'wahala' he just bought. We pray that twitter remains standing for long.

      Delete
    5. I'm so worried but later letter I got in the news and i have read from you Happy to see you ma with your lookalike .A ku ipalemo odun.

      Delete
  2. Weldone Ma & welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss you ma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great relief to read from you Ma'ami.
    You are welcome, we really missed your opinion and leadership role on Twitter.
    I am looking forward to be suspended soon.
    Kind regards
    @Kunle2308

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to have you back and better ma

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always educating to read from you, thank you for your selfless service ma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear from you again, we always gain from your words of wisdom. Welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning madam president, was just thinking about you this morning and here come this. Thank God for your life and for what u are doing. We miss u on this twitter street. And for those children of perdition their day of judgment will surely come. Av a blessed day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just keep engaging them with brutal facts. They are sheepish people with diminished understanding of issues

      Delete
  9. Good to hear from you after long silence. You are very much welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning ma and good to have you back even if on a different platform.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Surely glad to read from Madam President. The Oil is always there. Many more Ma’am

    ReplyDelete
  12. So so nice to read from you through this medium Ma, I’d really missed your witty and well informed engagements and lectures we get from you on Twitter but I join you to celebrate the other things you have had time to accomplish since the ban, congratulations Ma.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's good to hear from you after a while.. I just thought you were taking a break off Twitter intentionally. But it's good to see you back and better. E pe fun wa ma.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Abdulfatai Mahmud21 November 2022 at 16:14

    I am happy to hear from you ma. We missed you so much. Hoping to see you during our president birthday. 🥂

    ReplyDelete
  15. I missed your analytical prowess. Wasn't aware you'd been on a permanent suspension, just knew something wasn't just complete on that bird app, alas it was the Most Distinguished President of the Bird Republic. I personally will be migrating here on a permanent residence level. Life has been boring without reading those constructive gbas gbos from you. Miss you Ma'am

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thank you. The daily fights on that app takes its toll. Here, I can moderate. I promise to write more

      Delete
  16. Welcome back Madam President on your terms . Kudo ma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to be able to read from you again ma. Nothing relieves like a voice of reasoning like yours. May God continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well captured Ma. Glad to see that you are doing great Ma. You can't be silenced and your words resonate beyond limits. Never stop bn you Ma.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Madam President, no gainsaying it that you were terribly missed. Thank God being axed on Twitter isn't being asked to leave the world. Soon, you will be reinstated. Your patriots kept the fire and keep fighting that you be reinstated. Good to read from you, once again

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good to know you are fine, Madam President. You are indeed a Patriot even though I don't agree with some of your submissions. I hope those Fascists in the making will not make their way here. Their hate speech also should not be allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so great to hear from you Madam President, I really missed your tweets and comments on topical issues. God bless you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy to read from you Ma. Your contributions to National developments is top notch. Hope to see your twitter account reinstated soonest Ma.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Most delighted to hear from you. God bless and keep you always
    Like you always say, God bless Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mama is back!!! I miss your write up a lot. Glad to reconnect here

    ReplyDelete
  25. Welcome back mummy of progressive Nigerians. I will take this blog like that as it is better than nothing from you to learn from. Egba yin atunbo daale l'oruko Jesu.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So good to read from you again Madam President. May we all see the Nigeria of our dreams. Looking forward to your blog posts going forward. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome back Ma, we miss you on the bird app and happy we’ll be able to hear from you here. Your son @Pirtim has been worried sick Ma, though his naughtiness went up a notch in your absent. Good to have you back Madam President.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That my son na wahala boy. Many people were screenshooting his tweets and sending to me. One in particular caught my attention. The one in which he wanted to start paying allowance for adultery or fornication. May God save him. Lol

      Delete
  28. Welcome back Madam President. I did miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. As refreshing as ever. I miss having you on Twitter and I believe your account will be reinstated soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nse of the cryptic one liners. A beg, leave Twitter wahala for Elon Musk. We dey ground no matter what he decides

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still want you back though. Pirtim says the only person he’s afraid of is not around and I bet that applies to a whole lot of us. You may never know how much lives you have affected positively.

      Delete
  31. Missed you so much on Twitter. Epitome of wisdom Mama President.😂

    ReplyDelete
  32. I read this with tears in my eyes, l am in my 40s, l hqve learnt a lot from you, l pray l meet you one day together with your house hold, l was asking my self, why these tears, but l remember me, a man that cries even when its good things, Aunty mi, you have taught me expressions, even more about Patriotism and Patience, l will follow this blog, by Gods grace, God bless you, Thank you Good Teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well done, Madam. You are sorely missed on Twitter. Thanks for this new channel. Do keep up the patriotic job you are doing

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! So good to hear from you again Madam President. I've really missed you on Twitter. Please keep up the good work ma. Your spirit of patriotism and love for Nigeria is unmatched, young people like me look up to you in many ways. Can't wait to meet you one on one. You have a fan in me already. Olohun a je ki epe fun wa ma.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Finally!! It's good to hear from you Aunty. Twitter or not wherever you go, we'll follow. Ẹ̀gàn ò pé k'óyin mádùn. God bless you ma. Olayiwola Lasisi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awuye wuye A wiye wiye, Awiye aroye ote. Hello my dearest one. I dey ground

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments should be reflective of issues discussed in the main article. Comments that contain abuse or insult will be deleted. Thank you for a purposeful engagement on this medium. Please follow the blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Theatre of the Absurd (Part 3): A coup, a secession, a counter coup, another secession and a war

Theatre of the Absurd -Part 2